Thursday, August 21, 2008

nature study

For part of our science next year (which is only a week and half away... yikes!), we will be doing nature study.

I found this book....
Handbook of Nature Study
while looking through the Ambleside Online book lists. However, I wasn't sure exactly how I was going to use the book until I found this blog... Handbook of Nature Study. My plan is to participate in the challenges that are listed there. I love the thought of getting us outside more. Not that we're not outside a lot... but outside, taking the time to observe the nature that is around us... even in the city. It's amazing how much can be found in such an urban environment. Right now, on one our potted plants on our back deck, we are watching caterpillars grow! We found the eggs on a leaf one day, watched them hatch and are now watching the caterpillars grow larger by the minute (or so it seems). The kids love checking on them multiple times a day (plus doing a head count to make sure we're not missing anyone!).

If I was questioning that a nature study would be something the kids would enjoy, I got my answer this weekend. We were at Crystal Mountain and while there, we went geocaching. The kids found such greater treasures than the caches as we trekked down trails and up the ski hills. They asked me to photograph some of their favorite finds.

The bark on this tree...
a bee on a thistle...
a monarch caterpillar...
and a frog in the creek...
Next week I'm going to the art supply store to buy sketch books for all of us to use as nature journals.

I really can't wait!

No comments: