Wednesday, December 10, 2008

a new read aloud

We have been rocketing through read alouds lately! We ended up reading the Kit book I mentioned before in one sitting yesterday. We're still working on the lapbook though.

So, we were once again out of read alouds. Thankfully yesterday was library day. I know I'm a little slow, but I just realized that the chapter books also have holiday stickers on the spine. I have known that the picture books had these for years... but yesterday was the first day I had noticed them on the chapter books. This was a HUGE help in my search. The first book I pulled out with the Christmas Candy Cane sticker on the spine was this...

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus

I had never heard of this book before. The book is GORGEOUS! The illustrations are just incredible. I had no idea that L. Frank Baum (the author of The Wizard of Oz books) had written a story about Santa Claus.

We're only about four chapters into the book but so far the kids are completely entralled by the story. Who wouldn't be though? It's a fabulous fairy tale set in a forest no mortal has ever entered, complete with wood nymphs, fairies and other mythical creatures.

I have to admit that I was a bit reluctant to read a book about the life of Santa at first. But after starting this book, I have no problem with it. It truly is written like a fairy tale where although it captures your imagination and you want, in your heart, for it to be true... it is just a little too fanciful for you to accept that it could be true. Does that make sense? I hope it does, at least a little :-)

We'll see how the rest of it goes, but so far we're loving it.

No comments: