Thursday, April 2, 2009

what we're reading now

The Giant Rat of Sumatra: or Pirates Galore

Don't you love it when I don't post for a week or so and then post multiple posts in one day? I'm not sure why I do that sometimes, but I do. I have one more in the works (a review of what we think of All About Spelling so far)... but I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

Anyway... back to our read aloud. :-)

We are currently reading The Giant Rat of Sumatra by Sid Fleischman. It is the book club book at the library for April. I am so glad that Alex decided to participate in the book club.... we have discovered so many good books through the club. Alex started out with reading the books himself... but one came up that interested Clara so I read it aloud. Clara so enjoyed participating in the book club discussions too that we're now doing the book club books as read alouds.

We started this book on Tuesday.... the kids are LOVING it. They kept begging for just one more chapter so we read SIX chapters on Tuesday alone. I think we read another five today. The book has the added bonus for them of being set in Mexico. It is actually set in the San Diego area before it was part of the United States. It is set during the war between the US and Mexico which Alex had read about when we did our short little study of Mexico before our trip. The book has adventure, drama and comedy as well.... combined with short cliff hanger like chapters... a great combination for us.

Anyway... so far so good on this one.... I can't wait to see where it's going!

No comments: