Tuesday, February 3, 2009

a couple of egypt dvds

We have watched a couple DVDs on Ancient Egypt lately. We got both of them from Netflix.

The first one we watched was...
Pyramid
This one was based on the book by the same name by David Macaulay. We had checked out the book from the library as well.

Alex really liked this movie. I was a little let down, but I think it was because I was expecting something different. I think we'll continue to get the movies from this series as we work our way through Story of the World.

The second one we watched was this one...
The History Channel Presents Egypt - Engineering an Empire

I thought this one was amazing. Alex and Clara both got into it... Alex especially. There was a lot about the "hows" and "whys" of the ancient Egyptian structures. It was amazing to see just how some of the things were constructed.

My only word of caution is that during the section on Queen Hatshepsut they document the queen's relationship with Senenmut by showing ancient lewd graffiti that had been found... they do blur out the worst parts.... but it was a subject I wasn't expecting to see in this program.

Anyway... I finally remembered to mail in our Netflix movies, so by the end of the week we'll have one more Egypt DVD to watch.

1 comment:

Angel Reuther said...

Thanks so much for the reminder of Netflix! We are just getting done with Egypt and this would be great to wrap it up. I had thought about a DVD awhile ago and then forgot.

I enjoy your blog and helpful ideas. Thanks. :)