Wednesday, January 7, 2009

hieroglyphs

Wow... I haven't posted here in a while. We have been working on stuff... honest, we have! :-)

This week we're officially back at it so I'll have lots of new stuff to post plus I'll probably eventually get around to posting some of the other stuff we've done in the past month (maybe).

We're back to working our way through The Story of the World: Volume 1. This week's topic is the ancient writing styles of the Egyptians and Sumerians.

I meant to have clay on hand so they could play around with cuneiform writing, but I didn't. So, I brought out this fun thing I had bought this summer....
Ancient Egypt Treasure Chest

It has all kinds of fun goodies inside....
Yesterday they played with the hieroglyph stamp set....
Here's Clara's name (backwards, since she's going to stamp it)....
You never know with these little kits how they'll work out. The hieroglyph stamp set worked perfectly EXCEPT the ink pad was dried out. I would have been surprised if it wasn't dried out though. Thankfully I have quite a few ink pads lying around so it was no big deal...
The little round thing was a hieroglyphs decoder. And it also came with a little roll of papyrus to stamp on. The kids wanted to practice on paper first and I think they got too into that and completely forgot about their papyrus.

Fun stuff!

No comments: